SHARMAATL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Question still not answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemagrp View Post
Since many years ago, I follow Alpina cars, and this is going to be number 3 already.
You have choice to have Camry XLE V6, or Lexus ES350 ultra package.
Nissan or Infinity. Land rover Discovery or Range Rover. Regular car or luxury.
Do I have to really explain you why me and 275 people choose to pay 33K extra to get something unique?
You can go to store and choose leather wallet from no name, or go to designer shop and pay extra that you like. I would never blame people who go to Las Vegas or Atlantic City to gamble, I would never go, don't care. But, I want my XB7 Alpina blue metallic to be delivered to me regardless of 33K extra.
Sorry, but that is true.
First, the Discovery and Range Rover are two completely different models. At that point, you might as well bring up an X3 vs an X7, which is a fairly useless discussion.

Second, and in fairness, I'm comparing trim levels of one model, not different vehicles that share a chassis or basis, as is the comparison you've made with Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti.

Third, you're still driving an X7, just one with Alpina badging. Your leather wallet brand comparison doesn't work, neither does the Vegas/Atlantic City comparison because the companies (read: cities or wallets in your example) aren't different.

The proper comparison would be a Range Rover Autobiography vs an HSE, or a Maybach GLS vs a GLS 580. In both of those instances, the brands have made huge changes over the base vehicle, not just a different engine and a couple badge swaps. But, maybe I'm missing something.

As such, maybe someone with a better explanation can chime in. If it's just badging and the exclusivity, that's cool. At that point, why not just pony up the extra dough and pick up a Bentayga, DBX, or Urus?

Just wondering
Appreciate 0