View Single Post
      01-27-2020, 09:04 PM   #1
Evo13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Oil Drain Plug spinning

I'm going to try to make this as short as possible, also because I've never had this happen to me when doing oil changes on other cars, and due to the fact that I was stressing out for a day hoping oil isnt all over my driveway.

First time doing the oil change on my M3, after draining the oil and gave it sometime to drain. I went back to reinstall the oil drain plugs with the new copper washers. I ensured I didn't cross thread them as I started to hand tighten the drain plugs. But, when I started to torque them down, both drain plugs would always spin and never seem to tighten up. I tried to remove them and they just spun, re-tighten and nothing.

My buddy was with me and suggested I put some oil into the engine and see if there is any leaks. After putting all 9 quarts and repeatedly checking for leaks, it looked like they were holding up. Started the car to see if oil pressure would make them loosen up, and still all good. Went to Advanced Auto to dispose of the old oil, and took it easy on the drive over, car felt fine nothing out of the ordinary. Drove around more and a little harder on the car, parked put some cardboard underneath checked after work the next day, still holding up.

After looking around the internet, it seems that the oil drain plug or the oil pan could be stripped. I saw suggestions for a new pan, which I know is gonna be expensive. Or to time sert the oil pan and possibly never worry about stripping aluminum drain plug and or pan which seems like the better option but I've never done something like that.

I still made a long thread, but my question(s) is:

1) What is the best way to remove the potentially stripped oil drain plugs without doing more damage?
2) Time sert, anyone have experience with using it, if so how has it held up afterwards?
Appreciate 0