View Single Post
      12-13-2022, 11:51 AM   #51
srosenj
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW, Mclaren, Lotus, Tesla

It's an M engine. It is the ONLY V8 M engine now going forward. That's a major point of the whole post guys! Of course it will be tuned out on other vehicles.

Besides the mild electric power boost of 12hp, mainly for torque, the S68 in the X7 M60i has upgraded turbocharging with a blow-off valve. There is a newly engineered oil pump and a lighter oil sump to bolster the powertrain’s efficiency. Now, the eight-cylinder utilizes bank-symmetrical turbos, a cross-bank exhaust manifold, and external engine oil cooling. The M50i did not have these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Does the M60 S68 engine have individual throttle bodies? If not then definitely not an M engine. Also no one has parts catalog for the M60 yet but I would guess it uses all the same suspension, drivetrain, and brake components as all the other X7s with Msport, adaptive, IAS, Msport brakes. Only thing that may differ is some software due to power increase over M50. There is only two sets of M xDrive systems, one for the smaller vehicles and another for the larger. I highly doubt any material parts have changed between the M50 & M60 besides adding the 48v system and getting the next gen engine which happens in normal lifecycles. The S68 to me is between a M engine and normal, like the 1M & first gen M2 engines.

Its crazy how many parts are now shared across series, all part of the BMW over cost cutting parts reduction, it used to be almost nothing was shared. The part numbers may differ buy the LCI F90 M5 got the same GA8HP76X transmission already in the M50, software is likely the only difference.
Appreciate 0