01-28-2009, 06:01 AM   #6
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Well I wouldn't say I'm not comfortable adding oil. This is the second time the oil has dropped 1/4 down the digital meter bar. The manual clearly explains to add 1/2 liter at a time which is what I did but knowing that the guage is sometimes not 100% accurate, it fooled me into thinking that the 1/2 liter I had added as instructed may not have been enough.

Anyway, got off the phone with BMW here a short while ago and I told them exactly what happened. They said if I actually added way to much oil then a "oil level to high" message would be shown but since it shows just "max" then it's ok. Just don't add any more as it's topped up. The tech. explained that 1/2 liters should be added at a time so the engine can register the increase in oil and needs time to settle. And I had told him that after adding oil the first time, the car sat in the garage for a few days so had plenty of time to cool and settle for an accurate reading. He said it's been known to be slightly off so the tolerance is there for expansion. Anyway, if the oil is at the "max" or top of the bar as mine is, their telling me should be ok. Thanks for your inputs fella's.
Sounds like you're good!
Appreciate 0