View Single Post
      03-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #1
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

DIY: Burger Tuning short throw clutch stop install

While researching my car I noticed that people were complaining about the clutch travel being insanely long. They were right. :/ Prior to purchasing my car I went ahead and ordered this (no affiliation). I finally got around to installing it last night. Install took about 20 minutes, but can definitely be done in less time.

Clutch travel and engagement are soooooooooooo much better after installing this. THis is the way it should have been from the factory lol.

Burger does provide an installation guide, but MY2016 appears to have changed a bit. I'll add pictures after I upload them somewhere. This site is a pain when trying to upload pics.

Tools needed:
A contortionist
10mm socket
Socket wrench
Flashlight

1) Start by removing the 10mm nuts. Burger's install shows three torx screws. Apparently these have been replaced.

2) Using the pull and pray method shimmy yourself under the steering wheel and pry off the plastic panel. I found it easiest to start on the side where the OBDII port is located. Pull down to get the clips at the front of the panel to come loose. Front being the side closest to the driver. Once you get one side it's pretty easy to get the rest to follow. Drop the now free panel down, but not too far. You have some wires to disconnect.

3) Disconnect the blue connector pin on the little speaker. Squeeze on the left side of the connector to get it off.

4) Disconnect the black connector from the light. This was a pain and I thought I was doing something wrong. Wiggle it left to right and it will finally come free.

5) Pull the panel completely out and set it aside

6) Using a flashlight locate the tiny oem rubber clutch stop

7) With the Burger stop in hand shimmy back underneath the steering wheel

8) Pull out the tiny oem clutch stop

9) Push in the new hotness clutch stop

10) Crank up the car and mess with the clutch engagement. Burger suggested using all 3 shims. I found that using all three left like zero clutch travel before clutch engagement. Using two shims was the right answer for me.

11) Park your car (duh)

12) Starting from the back (furthest away from the driver) reinstall the plastic cover. Don't put it all the way in though.

13) Reconnect the speaker and light harnesses

14) Push the panel back up into position until the clips are seated

15) Reinstall the 10mm bolts
Attached Images

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread

Last edited by BentZero; 05-02-2016 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 3