View Single Post
      06-25-2019, 08:15 AM   #14
jamesfawcett
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Mine has a slack at the same spot for a long time now. It is not the steering column, it is the connection of the u joint to the column. It has a pinch bolt, this is blue lock tight secured. It doesn't hold tight especially if it was removed and reassembled. It holds tight for a few weeks but then loosens. Once the bolt is loose it allows the u joint move up and down a few mms. This is noticeable while driving only when moving parking speeds and steering , especially on bumpy pavement. I fixed it once by tightening that pinch bolt with fresh blue lock tite but it came back after a while. Planning add some shims around the bolt to take up the slack and tighten again but never yet got to it yet. It is worse at hot days since the slack gets widened by heat expansion.
Digging up a very old thread here - sorry!

Ive had problems with mine ever since I bought the car, had a full new column fitted under AUC warranty which lasted for about 100 miles, then the problem is back. Had loads of problems with BMW Lloyds in Colne over it when their technicians "couldn't tell there was a problem". I finally got a tech who also had an E90 and had the same issue on his in the past.

In the end I have fixed it by swapping the bottom bolt for a slightly longer 35mm high tensile M8 allen bolt, which protrudes out the other side. With the combination of plenty of locktite, the M8 bolt and then a nut on the other side to secure the bolt, it's finally solved.

I had the same problem as the guy above, it would tighten then work for a short while, but always frustratingly come back. There are many drivers that wouldn't notice, as it is very very subtle play in the wheel, but I can tell the difference.

Definitely a design flaw!
Appreciate 1