View Single Post
      01-28-2020, 01:48 PM   #21
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

I took a good look at mine today to see just what was causing the door not to open or close correctly.

On my 2020 X7 it appears that the locking/unlocking mechanism is the culprit. The locking rod/mechanism pushes in/out and rotates to move the locking tab in the locked/unlocked position.

I was able to consistently get it to work by applying the correct amount of pressure in close proximity to the locking mechanism. You can hear a slight "click" when you've successfully locked/unlocked the fuel door.

It takes a combination of two things. Applying the right amount of pressure and applying that pressure within the correct spot on the door. If you don't hear that "Click" sound when pressing on the fuel door, chances are you will not be able to close or open the fuel door.

Maybe a few of you that are having this problem could give it a try and see if it works on your fuel door.

Sanding/filing the tab, as noted in the pictures earlier in this post, had no effect on my fuel door. Applying the correct amount of pressure in the correct place solved it for me.

It's a crap design. The Audi I test drove before buying the X7 was even worse! The engineers/designers obviously didn't give a shit about this very important feature of the car. If you can't open the fuel door to put gas in the car you can't drive the freaking car! Idiots!!!
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50