lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Expanding a factory in SC to accommodate building the X7 takes some time to plan and build.
Oh of course. No doubt about it.

But the realization that BMW needed this X7 to compete with the Benz GL should have came way earlier than a few years ago. The GL came out in 2006. It's 2016 already and the X7 won't be available until 2018 so if my math is correct, that is 12 years of BMW not having a true GL (now called the GLS) competitor.
And 10 years ago, the global economy was months away from a major recession with clear signs of its impending arrival for anyone paying half attention. BMW has timed this well. The signs of a smaller economic downturn are present currently, but it won't be any where near as severe as the previous one nor as far reaching or long lasting.

The X7 is going to cover a fairly extensive range, with the "second" Luxury oriented version with 4 seats (5 optional), and V8 and V12 motors. It's aimed squarely at the Range Rover LWB Autobiography Black and Bentayga, but at a lower price point than both.

There is a market niche for sedans, large GT cars, and increasingly, SUV's, that is too small to ignore ($165k - $250k). The big question is how should BMW approach it? Does the BMW brand have the cache to take on Bentley? Would Rolls Royce be damaged with a model line slightly below the Ghost? I sincerely hope it isn't the latter as BMW's transformation of RR starting with the Phantom in as little time they had is nothing short of amazing and worthy of respect even if one is not a fan of the brand or its vehicles. The new marketing with the Black Badge is the most clever and well thought-out plan I've seen from an automotive company in very long time. Most will call it gaudy, cheesy, grotesque, etc, but it hits the demographic they want now and for the future. I also doubt the ability of the former. I simply don't see a BMW badged vehicle doing well in that price segment either. Aston Martin did very well with the Vantage and DB9, but fell flat on its face with the Rapide. Maserati has been a total failure outside of the Ghibli and that's giving it a grade based on curve. Mercedes has done well with the 63 AMG Models, but 65's are money losing with each and every sale. The S600 is a variable unicorn and the claimed success of the Maybach Manufaktur models of it and the S500(550) are keeblered without a doubt.
Appreciate 0