View Single Post
      05-06-2022, 06:40 AM   #105
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
My Dad told me this last week that it takes 87 hours to charge an EV. He watches the "constantly scare you and make outraged" news-channels where he comes up with this stuff. The time before when I was there, he asked me "what do you do if you run out of battery?", like somehow you don't fill up ICE cars with gas. Mind you, I don't know of any trip they've taken in the last few years outside the range of a decent EV, so how it's a problem for EVs and not him doesn't make sense. He's just scared and repeating lines he sees on TV and on the internet. Not that I think he should get an EV, he has a perfectly fine ICE car, it's just how he flat out refuses to understand that these can and do work perfectly for some people and they are not just a one-off or glorified golf cart anymore. How it was science fiction years ago and now it's reality. There are guys that drive out to the track in their Teslas, race with us, and drive back home.
Lots of folks get things wrong when it comes to EV's, and frankly just about any other topic that seems to be front and centre now. I assume your father is likely my age or older, some folks look at new tech and don't get it. My mother didn't own a cell phone, nor home computer, she just see the need and it didn't make sense to her. You might find yourself questioning some of the new stuff as you get older.

I'm not a fan of EV's, I have no issue with people buying them if they suit their needs, I'm not a fan of having a tech that won't work for me thrust upon me by government. I'm not a fan of autonomous cars, there was a thread on here a few years ago and it got quite heated on occasion. Some of the enthusiasts felt we'd all be in a fully autonomous car within 5 years, clearly we are still a long way off, and I for one don't see them becoming fully mainstream in my lifetime, as I don't see EV's saturating the market while I'm still young enough to drive.
Appreciate 3
kyriian886.00
Cos270608.50
eugenebmw1530.00