View Single Post
      05-13-2008, 10:44 AM   #14
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
Thanks denial! Excellent step-by-step. I'll be doing that this weekend! I'm thinking to outline the spoiler with masking tape so close that there's no paint visible, and then use Q-tips with Betaclean to remove any adhesive mess. Therefore, just after setting the spolier in place (and clamping the ends), then use the Q-tips to remove excess, then pull the masking tape. Use Q-tips once more to run along the seams, then tape the spoiler down. I think I'll also mask the upperside of the spoiler so that no matter what no adhesive finds its way there.

I haven't looked yet, but I'm thinking to just remove the trunk bulb so the trunk can remain open enough for the clamps to work.

All I can say is I hope this sucker stays put as by the end of the month I'll be putting some serious wind pressure on it!
Yeah, ideally the key would be to outline it so there's no visible paint. But it's easier said than done. I tried to do that, and had it perfectly aligned until I was in the midst of the gooping process. I'm not sure why but I just ended up with a gap after I was putting all that pressure down on it. Try to refit one more time after sanding just to make sure, and put some pressure on it (as if you were trying to make it stick). That's probably why I developed a slight gap.

As far as Q-tips, that might work. But the goop is THICK and TARRY and STICKY. What might end up happening is the fluff from the q-tip might come off and stick to the goop (which would suck). Just have an old terry cotton rag on hand as backup (don't want to be running to and from while the goop is drying).

Yeah, I would definitely mask everything. Just makes it easier, allows you to put more goo everywhere with ease of mind. Plus painter's tape comes off real easy anyhow.

Instead of removing the trunk bulb, just manually place the trunk latch in the close position, artificially. Takes literally 2 seconds and the light turns off. When you're ready to close the trunk after everything's done, dried, and clean, just "open" the trunk with the key fob so the latch will unlatch itself and then you're back to normal (otherwise you'll be attempting to close the trunk onto an already closed latch). Easiest way hands down. Hope that made sense.

EDIT:

oh, and one more thing. When the Betalink dries, it tends to dry as a rubbery, semi-hard mess (at least on the surface of the paint). Honestly the best way to get it off is using the spatula + Betaclean solution as it really needs to be lightly scraped off. You'll see what I mean.

Be sure to post back with your results/techniques so we can make this easier for everyone!
Appreciate 0