Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
With respect it's not old .... I'm just not sure if this is something that is software only or whether there are any parts involved.

Hopefully I'll find out later today when I take delivery of mine, I'll call into the service department, whether I get the right answer is another matter
So I was curious about this and did a little poking around. As best I could tell, the remote engine start feature and the auto start/stop feature (which I really hate BTW) seem to be closely related. The wire diagram at the link below shows the primary components: The Body Domain Controller (BDC) and the Center Console Control Panel (where the engine start/stop button is located):

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g07-x7-xdrive40i-sav/components-connectors/components/components-with-a/a258-9-starter-motor/1VncgXbILQ

Looking at the BMW online parts catalog, there does not seem to be a different BDC for vehicles with different options. As for the Center Console Control Panel, there appear to be four different variants: with or without glass controls, and with or without Parking Assistance Plus. No mention of the Remote Engine Start Option (which is option code SA1CR).

So based on these limited findings, I will speculate that on the new G-Series BMWs that share this BDC (and there are a lot of them) and also have the same Center Console Control Panel (which is in the 8-series, X5, X6 & X7), Remote Start should be a codeable option that does not require additional hardware. Of course, knowing that it s codable, then actually finding the parameters to actually do it are two totally different things.... Also, whether or not this is an official BMW retrofit is a different matter as well. Although, on the previous generation X5 and 7-series, BMW did offer remote start as a dealer authorized retro fit so there is some hope...

With all the inherent automation that all car manufactures are adding to their modern car models now, it only makes sense that remote start capability should already be "built in" into the electronics in the car.
Thanks so much for this !! .... much appreciated

I didn't get time to speak to service when I picked up the car today but will pop by later in the week and let you know what they say.