GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
S5 vs. M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwizard View Post
Hello gentleman. I am a new user here, but I have observed the sight on a regular basis.

I have just started making the kind of money where I can justify buying a car that will make me proud. I live a 15 min. walk from work, so I only will be taking a car out a couple times a week.

My first choice was the M3. The high revving engine, the cache, etc...
However I am going to the Audi dealership this Sat. to test drive the S5. $10,000 cheaper, and I have to say a gorgeous car. I never thought I would ever favor an audi over a bmw, but this car is something else.

I was never a big fan of the rs4. I thought overpriced. The s5 is basically in a price point between the 335i and m3. 335i are on every street corner where I live. Not rare enough for me.

My major concern is I might not get the most use out of the m3 around town here.

What do you guys think? Is the extra $10,000 really worth it?
What do you guys think of the s5?
To me, yes it's worth it. Hard to know what pushes your buttons. My M3 is a daily driver in a medium-sized metropolitan area (Portland, OR). It gives me a lot of grins for that use alone. If you're only driving it a couple times a week, then you want to have fun with it. While the S5, I'm sure, is reasonably fun for normal driving, the M3 is another dimension.

You need to decide what the car's main purpose and your needs/wants are. And be sure to test drive both, if you can. And don't forget the Bimmer's 4 years free maintenance in the cost comparison.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0