View Single Post
      09-22-2021, 09:51 PM   #2
beetagh
Beetagh
United_States
Rep
Drives: Several various vehicles

First things first. The gripes. Maybe some of ya'll can help with these if I'm not seeing the seeing the solution yet.

1) Our LX570 and our old Range Rover were able to lower the vehicle when stopping so that entry/exit were easier for the shorter folks in the family. I've searched high and low, but so far have not been able to find a way to enable this X7 to lower automatically when stopping to allow easier entry/exit with the car in full "low" position. Weird that BMW wouldn't enable this as a feature since it's on air suspension.

2) The cargo area privacy cover seems like it is only able to be installed in the forward most position (in front of the 3rd row). I haven't found any possible way for it to install behind the third row so that it can be used when the third row is in the up position. Really BMW? Is there a different privacy cover or something we have to buy to use behind the third row?

3) The second row seats have great adjustability, but they don't seem to go that far back compared to other vehicles in this segment. Is there a mod that will allow the second row seats to go a couple inches further back?

4) The factory running boards are a joke and an annoyance. So we made sure to get one without them. BMW, seriously, an SUV this size, with no usable step to get in and out? My kids and wife slide off the seat to get out and that leather is going to rub raw pretty quick. I saw a use here installed the retracting ones, we will more than likely go that same route unless there's a good solid state step option.

5) Suspension in normal old comfort mode is really unstable around turns if its a bumpy road. A lot odd feeling from front/rear opposite corners. In sport mode its much better. I've had the dealer look over the suspension and they tell me its normal. Compared to our LX570, GL450, and Range Rover in the past non of them had this issue around bumpy turns in the road. Very odd feeling, somewhat disappointed BMW didn't have this tuned in better.

6) The soft close doors don't really work as well as our 7 series did. It seems that even a gentle shut of the door closes it all the way.

7) Why use both chrome and the satin silver mister BMW? Stick to one or the other. I'll be working on getting rid of the chrome bits little by little. The mix of the two looks odd in my opinion.

8) The Travel & Comfort mount in comparison to where the second row seats are makes the folding table and the tablet holders sit in a really odd spot in my opinion. Not very well thought out by BMW unfortunately. The only thing that I have found that works well in the Travel & Comfort slot is the hook, my wife uses it to hang her purse on it.

The good stuff:
1) seats are surprisingly comfortable, better than the GLS in my opinion
2) infotainment control is WAY better and easier than the 2020+ GLS
3) in sport mode it drives very similarly to our 2015 740i msport. Very solid and confident
4) The looks are so nice in person. Photos never did this vehicle justice. In person they look fantastic. Far superior to the X5/X6 in my opinion
5) I like the giant grille, it's growing on me
6) The extended glass roof all the way to the third row has been a big hit and makes the interior feel much larger than competitors
7) The captains chairs in the second row are a hit and really comfortable too.
8) The 22" staggered wheel option is a must. They fit and look so perfect on this body, the backspacing is perfect in my opinion as well.
9) Sound system is great, better than the GLS i think
10) Apple and Android integration is wow wow wow fantastic, and really well done
11) The driver assist in stop and go traffic is a life saver and works surprisingly well.
12) The parallel parking feature is interesting, haven't gotten it to work for us yet, but looking forward to finding the right area to test it again.

Last edited by beetagh; 09-22-2021 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0