12-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsairius View Post
I'm not usually so confrontational online, but this makes no sense to me. Get off your high horse. Minis have a long history of being nimble and fun-to-drive machines. The newer ones are no exception.

Mini Coopers, not necessarily their more bloated models (Countryman or even the Clubman), are legitimate handling machines even though they're FWD. They punch way above their weight when it comes to handling. They've gotten bigger in recent years, but many people I've talked to and online reviewers say they still have their go-kart like handling and charm. FWD is going to be the hard selling point for the BMW crowd though, which is understandable.

OP: 0-60 in ~6s will be noticably slower than your 335i, but the car's handling will surprise you, especially since this car is modified. This specific Mini you're looking at is going to have a noticeably different personality and presence on the road. I've seen some JCW Minis on the street, parked and driving around, and they have a certain look to them (and sound) that gives off a different vibe.

If you're the type of person who values handling in the twisties more vs. straight line speed, then this car will not disappoint. You will have to ask yourself though if you're willing to adjust or put up with the handling characteristics of FWD. I'm personally not sure if I could go back to FWD as it would be very difficult for me. I like having at least rear-biased AWD. If there was ever a car that would lure me away from RWD/AWD though, it would be the Mini Cooper S.

It's really a matter of personal preference and what you want. Just ask yourself what you really want out of a car and what you're really looking for. Don't get the car if ultimately what you're looking for is just something new or different. Make sure you really want it and that you're not compromising. If you just want another 335, go to another dealership and find one as it sounds like the one you were working with doesn't care enough to want your money.

Just my $0.02.
Wow, Minis are gay now. what my gf thinks common. These people are idiots.

I drove the car, finally got a day above 35 so they let me take it out (still has the race tires). When in sport mode with the traction control in "GP" mode the car was incredible. Could hear the turbo blow off, exhausted gurgles and pops when downshifting and coming up to lights. And the handling was insane and boy did those brembos bite and slow that car down in no time flat. I want to get out of my 335 at the moment, waiting for the new M3. Don't want to get caught in a lease for a new 3 series (personally I didn't like my 335, it felt cheap compared to my 5 series)

I was really impressed with the handling and the power is ok for now. Im trying to see if renntech makes a tune for it at the moment. Took my dad on the test drive and he's willing to take it over once the M3 comes out. Just looking for someone with some non its fucking gay opinions.

Every car I've owned so far is a RWD BMW so it would be a change for me now, but my car driving situation has change. I no longer DD my 335i it sits in the garage, I have a work Tundra and a E39 530 I drive after work.
Appreciate 0