GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelric View Post
yes, it is pre-recorded sound (albeit very complex pre recorded sound, based on many parameters)
Exactly - it's a video game: it looks at your joystick, brake buttons, etc and generates the sound accordingly. it's fake.

And what is still unknown if if it's pre-recorded or generated - based on the very fuzzy responses from Biermann and others I'd say it's digitally generated ... i.e., they're electronically duplicating the wave forms based on real-world measures from test cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelric View Post
occasionally something will just not sound right, but not 'not-right' enough to trigger a warning light. I'd like to be able to hear that sound.
+1 and also I'd just like to hear the mechanics I'm paying $80k for - that's part of paying for this art.

Unfortunately it's gotten to the point where for the US market they have to use special differential oil because otherwise it will make a sound and people will bring it in to their dealer.

In other words we've crossed into Oz ... most drivers didn't grow up close to mechanical things and/or raw cars - so now BMW has to eliminate all of the real sounds and generate fake sounds.

But don't try to tell anyone you're getting DCT over MT

EDIT: they should totally Dukes-or-Hazzard it and also generate tire squealing so even when you casually pull out of a parking spot you get all kinds of tire squeal! That would sound awesome too!

Last edited by GrussGott; 07-28-2014 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0