04-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBimmerKid View Post
I kind of feel like BMW doesn't like Canada. You guys have to pay more and don't get discounts Poor Canada.
Thanks.

BMW Canada, which is different and distinct from BMWNA (despite the "NA" in BMWNA meaning "North America" and implying it includes more than just the States...) has no impetus to change and offer more discounts. Our market is small (our population is the size of California) and we continue to pay their prices...

They didn't even offer a decent ED program until a couple of years ago...

The other option is importing an used model from the States. Which some Canadians have done successfully, but evidently not frequently enough for BMW Canada to feel motivated to change. Not long ago, an independant car dealer imported a competition package M3 (which was not available in Canada in 2011 except for a very high price of almost $6K at the time) at a significantly reduced price, but it sat in the classifieds for a long time... (I was surprised at that. It was just the wrong transmission for me, damn.) Also Canadians unloading an imported American model have often had to lower their prices such that any gains they made through importing were lost upon resale... I still think it is a good option to pursue, depending on someone's preferences, objectives, etc.

EDIT: Same changes have occurred tho'. For instance, as previously mentioned, the competition package for the M3 was nearly $6K in Canada in 2011. It dropped to $2900 for the 2012 model year (much closer to the US $2500 price).