Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilby View Post
Hi mapezzul,

Thanks for your insight!

How confident are you in the fall launch of xDrive? The dealers are (unsurprisingly) cagey - they want my sale now!

When you say 2k miles, did you mean on a 550 GT or on a regular 5? I was pondering the all wheel steering but I read one bad review of it (I don't remember where I read it though...), but then I also read a good one (AutoGuide) so it's difficult to know for sure. The dealers near here (MA) don't appear to have one with this option.

If BMW had launched it with xDrive it would be a no-brainer for me. We will need a 2nd car and I don't think we can wait a year. Either its going to be a 550i + set of winters, or an X6 or then a CPO'd <something>.

The thing is, we don't really need the size or footprint of the X6 because we have a Q7 for the large family duties. Heck, I don't even really need a 550 GT, but since BMW decided not to launch with a more frugal engine, I'm not exactly overloaded with options...

I agree about the GT in person - it does look much better. But then, since I sit in the car, I don't particularly care (within reason) how the rear looks. The interior is much more important for me, and for that, the BMW delivers in spades.
I have driven about 2k miles in the 550i GT. The 535i GT will be here in March, xDrive versions next fall are definite.

The all wheel steering is fantastic, there is nothing wrong with it on the GT or the 7 series. I have been in a 7 with it on the track and it actually provides some additional traction. The launch cars in the US should all have the sports package and Integral Active Steering- so the dealer should have one. I will check on that.

I prefer the GT over the X6 myself from a usability standpoint though the DPC in the X6 is an amazing piece of hardware and greatly improves handling in such a large (tall) vehicle.

The GT interior is also far superior. I still can't understand why BMW opted to not include interior grab handles in the X6, and the standard seats are not all that great.

Like I said, my wife will be getting a 535xDrive GT next fall; she loves it since it is NOT a wagon.

-M