07-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #9
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435 MPPK+1970 XKE OTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHL102 View Post
I actually meant the jack point, the SA referred to it as the "lift pad". It is the little rubber block that is used for the spare tire jack. One behind each front wheel and in front of each rear wheel. This was hanging off the bottom of the car. Immediately behind it, the first plastic rivet that fits into a metal part (of the body I assume) popped loose and caused the plastic cover to come loose. The metal part that it plugged into was bent. The actual bend was about the size of a thumbnail, the part seems to be part of the body. I can take a picture, maybe someone here can identify the part..
I've sheared a few of those off on my E92.. they look the same on the F3X.. You can get them from the parts department, they will pop back in with a bit of persuasion. I call them sacrificial anodes, well designed to take the hit and damage and still leave the underside frame rail and rocker panel intact. As I recall, they aren't very expensive. Typically if they hit, the pothole is long and abrupt at the near end, so there is hope that the outbound slope is gentler and more wheel friendly..