View Single Post
      07-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
It sounds like you're saying that BMW limited the n54/DCT tuning and ESS or Dinan using it as a baseline are limited.

Or, are you saying

ESS and/or Dinan feels they have to limit the tune because the DCT can't take the higher max torque.

Pardon me for pushing the point, but I want to make sure I understand. I'll be getting the DCT but I want to understand the issue.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4909/

Obviously, the Veyron DCT will be a much stronger unit than the one used in e89 Z4, but the thing I'm wrestling with is the difference in tune a perception issue (DCT = automatic transmission) or is the Z4 DCT actually the limiting factor.
The limiting factor with most tuning is what the vehicle was designed to handle. The DCT transmission in the Z4 35i has a limit set by BMW on how much TQ it is rated to handle. The other limiting factor is how much boost the stock turbos are designed to run without running the risk of damage, errors during operation or shortend life. This does not mean that one could not push these levels beyond these limits to achieve bigger numbers on the N54 as we have seen some tuners do we just dont recommend or practice it.

We tuned the Z4 with these limits in mind like we do all of our projects keeping safety, reliability and performance in mind. We feel that we have achieved a nice balance and the most power we can without risk of issues or long term damage to the motor or transmission.
Appreciate 0