03-21-2023, 10:52 AM   #86
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
No one is arguing over value, the fact remains that BMW is charging way too much for the XM. I always laugh when the implication is made that the people talking about not liking a particular vehicle it is because they cannot afford it. I easily could, have zero desire to do so, it is unattractive then add to that the power and handling that full M vehicles are known for, just isn't there.
What should it have cost?

Just as an example, a Cayenne Turbo S E-Hybrid Coupe starts at $173,800 and while a bit quicker, is smaller and shares a substantial many more parts with a base Cayenne. And out the door you’re easily looking at $20k+ more than a fully loaded XM.

I think they’re spot on with the price. It’s a bit tough in the current market having to pay MSRP but 2 years ago you’d easily have gotten $9k off. Interest rates aren’t helping the situation either.

I’d like it to be cheaper of course, but BMW put it at a level that undercuts most of the competition by a considerable amount and it’ll bring new folks to the brand. I know my college-age son loves it. They’re going to make more money on people like him over his lifetime than they will people like me who have probably bought more BMWs previously than I will in the future.

It’s a smart business move, even if it alienates some existing customers. It’s what luxury brands do to survive and stay relevant.
Appreciate 0