View Single Post
      01-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #19
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375
The McLaren F1, to me, was the car that started this "hypercar" term. That is the car I would take over the One:1, P1, 918, Aventador, 918, LaFerrari, etc.

The Veyron continued it when it was made and went a step further by adding some luxury to it. Why does the car weigh 4k lbs? Look at the engine, all the coolers, its AWD drive train and the luxury it has. The technology that made the car was outstanding when it was first debuted to the public but now....its just another car that is being surpassed by new, lighter, faster, better cars.

No one can say the Veyron was/is garbage, if it wasn't for Bugatti MAKING this car. I assure you, the LaFerrari, P1, 918, etc would NOT be what they are today. Nor would Koenigsegg have been the company they are today.
Keep in mind that none of the companies that you mentioned followed the legacy of the Veyron. Even the ones that focused on top speed elected to do so by focusing on a lighterweight, better handling chassis. None of these current cars are built remotely in the way the Veyron was... There is even nothing that luxurious about a Veyron other than high quality leather and ac... It has none of the interior toys that even an Acura Rl of the time had (exxageration but you know what I am saying). The car had a goal... and that was to be a top speed record holder... well if the Mclaren f1 built 10 years earlier wasn't slower by only 20 mph, then maybe it would be more impressive. The Laferrar, p1 and so forth followed the legacy of the f1... none followed the heavy chassis of the Veyron because I guess everyone realized that was a bad idea. It was an excercise and at that it was good.