Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokinawa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
I am a bit confused. The whole interval setup, does that mean it's always recording but will only save once an event like an accident happens? If not, I do not see the benefit of it only starts recording after you get hit because the most critical part of an accident is being able to capture the actual accident itself.
That is basically how it works. The camera system is essentially recording all of the time, keeping only 30 seconds of video in memory (or whatever interval you set in iDrive). Then if an accident trigger occurs, that 30 seconds in memory (which is technically 30 seconds in the past now) is combined with 30 more seconds to give you a full minute worth of video that is permanently saved - 30 seconds before the accident trigger and 30 seconds after the accident trigger.

This is how aftermarket dash cam systems record accident "events" so I am assuming this is how the BMW system works based on the video demonstration posted.
That is how I understand it. You can also trigger a 20 second recording when ever you want. I wish it would record constantly and flag events as locked and not overwrite until you asked it to. If I want to save something like a crash in front of me, I'd have to remember todo it within 20 seconds I've it occurring. I doubt that would happen because I'd be in shock or worrying about checking on the victims.
You hit the nail on the heard there buddy. What good is 40 seconds? Video memory is cheap you should get at least a weeks worth.

If you see something you have 20 seconds to hit the button? Come on...

I'll be moving my OWL CAMERA into the X when it arrives. To me this is one of the best and simplest dash cameras on the market. It's only downfall is it records the front only. On the plus side, it does also record the interior too! That feature came in real handy when a porter at Audi was searching through my car. I watched her live and showed the service writer while she was doing it.

Made a great video.

Plus with the Owl Camera I was able to save it to my phone with the touch of a button.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50