View Single Post
      08-11-2020, 03:16 PM   #65
makersmark
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X7 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymen14 View Post
Can you simplify this in laymen's terms please? I just read half of an article from the Florida bar and can't quite deduce if you're hinting that if the drive recorder failed you could pursue BMW for what I think is "spoliation of evidence" or if you were indicating that this would serve no purpose in some manner. Just interested in your reason behind the statement. Thank you.
No, the commenter is presumably calling out the obvious potential issue with such a system, that in general with every accident someone is at fault, so while this would be helpful 50% of the time when you are proving the other persons wrong doing, the half of the time when it's your fault, then this recording would prove you are at fault. And if you attempt to say delete the video or do something to intentionally hide that evidence that looks poorly on you, then you could be charged by doing so, aka Spoliation of evidence presumably.

When this feature was announced, while others immediately asked technical questions about the quality of the service such as resolution, parking mode, backup to cloud services and such, while that is all important, but first thought was what happens when you get into an accident that is potentially your fault? Are you required to provide the video, and or any other legal implications. And if you deleted the video presumably that action would be saved in your car somewhere which potentially BMW could recover.
Appreciate 1