06-04-2020, 05:04 AM   #7
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Yes, certainly does - spec wise it was a D5 HSE Luxury with a few options versus the X7 MSport 30d with the tech pack. The test X7 also had the Luxury(?) pack - the one with comfort massaging seats and a few other bits.

Most specs were aligned, although the Disco had things like rear seat screens and opening pano roof (X7 fixed iirc). Plus the 825w Meridian Surround (vs HK in the BMW, I could not have justified the B&O upgrade).

But it was bloody nice being back with iDrive for 24 hours.

The decision was what to replace a Disco that was being rejected, so there was also an intangible of 'I'm not done with having a Land Rover yet' after only having one for six months at that point.

The perfect solution would have been a Discovery with BMW tech. Sadly not an option.

First world problems, we're lucky to have these cars
I think in the same situation of only having the LR for a short time I might have done the same.

I went from a 40d X5 in the UK to the newly launched D5 in the UAE when I moved here and had it for approaching 3 years. I was happy with almost everything apart from the tech.

3 years is stretching my limit on keeping a vehicle so started looking around at the new X5 but then a long story short I was offered an amazing deal on a full option X7 so went with that and Im quite happy.

Had there been something remarkably different about the D5 I might have considered it again but the current model is very little different to the one I had.

The one thing I do miss for the odd occasion is the off road capability of the D5 which used to be fun in some of the remote parts of the country but something I can live without. For occasional times on a bit of sand or rock here the X7 is OK.

As you say first world problems and we are extremely lucky to be able to choose between two such great vehicles.