View Single Post
      07-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #19
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
The 135i might have an M tuned suspension and M bits here and there but it is NO M car.
In my mind, the fact that they are offering the M bits on the inside and the more aggressive looking aero package on the outside are two of the biggest indicators that there won't be an M1 any time soon.

How does one distinguish an M car from a standard one now? The M car has the M interior trim pieces and unique, more aggressive exterior styling. Bingo. Those two attributes are already in place on the 135i. If there was an M1 planned soon, they wouldn't blur the distinction between the 135i and the M1 by giving the 135i the M components on the inside and an already unique exterior styling.

If there is going to be an M1, that means the 1er will follow the 3er's family paradigm with a "base" model (128i/328i), "upscale" model (135i/335i), and a "performance" model (M1/M3). Now, look at the changes you get when you move from the "base" model to the "upscale" model in the 3 series. There are some very subtle changes in the exterior, mainly in the front facia, but they are difficult to distinguish. The interior is the same, save for different leather colors. So then, why would there be such a radical difference in the exterior and interior styling going from the "base" model 1 series to the "upscale" model 1 series? In other words, if there is to be an M1, why isn't the 135i nothing more than a 128i with a bigger engine, some subtle aero changes, and different paint/leather options?

In my estimation BMW threw the M interior pieces on the 135i, and gave it more aggressive styling because it IS the M1. In addition, this gives them the flexibility of bringing the 120d/123d (or possibly one of their smaller gasoline engines) over to slot in as the "base" model, which instantly makes everything fit nicely with the 128i being the "upscale" model and the 135i being the "performance" model.
Appreciate 0