View Single Post
      12-28-2019, 06:56 AM   #22
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Maybe I'm just super-sensitive to wind noise, but it's definitely there. For reference, I have the BMW crossbars and a Thile Motion XT Large box.

Without the cargo box it is less frequent, but I'll get a high pitched whistling on occasion at speeds upwards of 55 MPH and a slight cross cross wind.

With the box on, especially when empty, the more typical wind noise is very apparent above 60MPH. Its certainly not as bad as other cars or boxes but its definitely there. Below 45 or so and there's nothing, so that's good, the high pitched whistling also goes away with the box on, I think it's something with the rubber inserts in the middle of the bar not having pressure on them, maybe that will fix itself over time, but I dont think I'll ride around with just the bars on anyway, they certainly come off easy enough.
My experience is same. Without box, silent vehicle. With it, there is some noticeable noise but I can live with it. I've always got the radio on, and three kids yapping, so it gets drowned out. Plus, if you close the sun shade for the panorama roof that insulates the noise a shade.

Other thing to keep in mind is to try to keep it at 80mph or less, other than that, biggest adjustment for me is the height. Few parking garages can accommodate this set up, unfortunately, and need to be constantly mindful of clearance when you have a big box on top like this one in XXL capacity
Appreciate 0