View Single Post
      08-18-2015, 04:07 AM   #8
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drocksmooth View Post
Thanks for the response! But even if you use a firehose to force feed the air, you're still hampered/limited by the size of the nozzle, right? The bigger the nozzle (i.e. throttle body), the more air flowing into the intake manifold.

Just thought of another question, if the air coming in through the filters eventually is cooled by the intercooler before entering the intake manifold, does it really matter that it's a "sealed system" or that there is some heat soak from the engine? I've been looking at the AFE "sealed system," but thinking about it, if the air is going through the intercooler, then there isn't really a need for a "sealed system," right?
I am not and expert but generally, a turbo(or supercharger) allows compression of the air (density goes up) therefore more fuel can be mixed with that air per cylinder firing for the same AFR, therefore more power with a smaller engine. Also, these are direct injection engines so the fuel metering can be very precise.

WRT the intercooler...different trains of thought exist (do a search on CAI vs DCI on the forum to see some heated debates). Tests have shown that air flow in the engine bay makes a DCI or inlets work fine although technically a CAI will get *slightly* better cooling of the air into the turbos. My unqualified online research indicates it is probably a wash, performance-wise. WRT FMIC, the stock intercooler is too small. Getting an aftermarket FMIC is probably the biggest initial performance jump you can give the N54 engine. YMMV.

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0