View Single Post
      09-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Slightly OT: Unorthodox cure for soft M Sport brakes...Left foot braking!

I was a bit bored whilst driving today so decided that I would try left foot braking. There is a proper driving reason as I was thinking that being able to blip the throttle whilst braking in to tighter corners would be useful sometimes to keep the revs up and the engine/turbos nice and responsive when exiting.

In the past I've always found this very difficult to do, in large part I guess because years of driving manuals means the left foot is used to heavy presses on a clutch compared to the right foot on brake and throttle.

However, with not having had a manual for a couple of years, this seemed to be less of an issue now, and of course the softness/long travel at the top of the brake pedal in my 335d meant that it became even easier!

After just a few miles I became reasonably decent at it- certainly no moments of accidental emergency braking like has happened before. The pedal positions aren't really ideal but otherwise I think I could get very used to doing it. The further I drove the better I got, and perhaps because I was concentrating on it more I also felt that the brakes seemed absolutely perfect in bite and feel... or otherwise the brakes have been set up for drivers with wooden legs!

On the soft brakes issue which some of us have I wondered if it may be related to having adaptive cruise... perhaps the system works better with a longer/soft initial bite calibration? It's not everyone that complains of it, and a lot that do have adaptive cruise I think?
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0