Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M5 Competi ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Interesting perspective….. But IMHO, I think it comes down to people allowing the excitement of getting a new car (and we all have been there), combined with more impatience than most would care to admit, which drives these types of ill formed decisions. I say Ill informed because some of these packages, while ridiculous to many, may actually have value to some. But many don't want to take the little bit of time to educate themselves a bit first…

In today's age of almost infinite access to (good) information via the internet, there really is no excuse for someone to NOT be an informed consumer about any product - especially an expensive product like a car. But people have to choose to do so in order to be an informed consumer. And as you can see from these types of overpriced packages still being offered at dealers, there are still plenty of people who are willing to pay - in most cases due to their own ignorance and impatience, IMHO…

I have a real world personal example of how crappy one of these packages can be, especially the paint protection oriented ones…. A few months ago I purchased a cream puff of a used car (a BMW X3) for my wife from my local BMW dealer. As I am a budding car detailing enthusiast, I paid very close attention to the condition of the paint, which was almost flawless with very few swirls or scratch marks. I figured the previous owner must have taken really good care of it as the paint on this X3 was significantly better than any other X3 on the lot I was looking at. While negotiating the deal, there was a $500 paint protection [...]

Great point. Well thought out post.
Appreciate 0