04-25-2024, 10:11 PM   #44
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikx7 View Post
Objective
2019 c&d published that the X7 40i (64 dB) was quieter than an '18 S450 by 2dB @ 70mph. (64 vs 66 dB)
2021 c&d: '21 s580 65dB @ 70 mph
2023 c&d: '23 x7 40i 62dB @ 70mph
2023 c&d: '23 maybach s-class 64dB @ 70mph

There is one reason why I considered all these measurements by Car and Driver to be laughable, useless and a joke. I realized that once I saw these results (below) posted by them, extremely laughable, indicating these measurements as truly useless and not even close to real-life experiences when comparing one car to another:
  • posted by C&D: 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS450: 65 db --> lol, one of the noisiest cars I ever tested
  • posted by C&D: 2018 Lincoln Navigator: 66 db --> WHAT A JOKE HERE.. I owned this car (2019 specifically, same gen as 2018) and it is one of the worst cars I ever owned noise wise... this by itselfs tells me that all these numbers are useless. How come this car is almost as quite as an S-class and the X7.
  • posted by C&D: 2018 Tesla Model S 100D: 68 db --> This is the old Tesla chassis.. and they want to convince me that it's as good asa Rolls-royce and nearly as good as Mbenz isolation? Yeah okay.

Here is another master list by another company or group of people that do these tests, at least they are specialized in these comparison. At least these guys have aknowledged that the type of road and conditions may have an impact on some results so any car may have a true dB rating of a few dBs above/below the reports values, so it's probably still useless compared to real life experiences: https://carconfections.com/all-car-c...s-master-list/ The S-class is ranked right at the top.

These measurements aren't reliable when comparing cars that are both somewhat quite. Where they all tested on the same exact road and pavement? Absolutely not. Once you get to a noise level below a certain threshold, then the type of tires, their age, pavement and cars around would skew the results quite a bit and the test is no longer a true apple to apple comparison.

I take all these numbers with a grain of salt. Not sure how these measurements are done, again am sure they were not done under the same exact conditions, but I can only believe my own ears and driving experience. The S-class is quitter than the X7 only because of the form factor against the wind, and in windy conditions it is noticeability quiter really. The X7 is super super quite no doubt, but it's still an SUV and you can hear the wind hitting the windows. The "insulation" behind the doors and floor of the mbenz S-class is just next level, especially with how the windows are tight sealed against the door.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 04-25-2024 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0