View Single Post
      05-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #18
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
I thought this deserved its own space for discussion as I read this type of comment a lot and we have dozens of perspective X7 buyers visiting daily.

The 2019 X7 is 3” wider, 2” taller, and 11” longer than the prior generation 2014-2018 X5 which is the model most of us have experienced and upgraded from.

The X7 does not handle nearly as well. “Nimble” is not a word I would use to describe it. The X7 does an admirable job of handling for its size but has significant body lean on local windy roads, cannot corner well at high speed, and is far more difficult to maneuver in a tight driveway. Even nose-in parking at the local shopping plaza is an adventure as my wife and I are two-weeks in and neither of us have yet to successfully park straight on the first try.

I am happy with our new luxury family hauler, but the X5 handles like a BMW whereas the X7 handles like a truck. It’s a very different driving experience.
hey todd agree on nimble vs less nimble. the current gen x5 feels much smaller than the x7, but the trade off there is that the x7 has a heft to it that adds to the comfort both in town and on the highway. on the highway it's a locomotive. it's the smoothest thing i've driven at speed. i don't throw this vehicle around corners though, and never intend to.

re low speed maneuverability i actually find it easier to ease into tight spots with the x7 because the front of the vehicle is more squared off than the heavily flared front end of the x5 which makes it a bit of a guess game for me.
Appreciate 0