10-13-2010, 12:57 AM   #8
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcielago View Post
Why are you willing to exchange your RFT's with normal tires?? Is it because the sound issues and drivability??
No, not because of the sound issues or driveability, but for the same reasons LuvMyE92 mentions below and also because many repair shops in Northern California where I live will not repair run-flats for "liability" issues. Nobody carries run-flats as a general rule so you must order from Tire Rack and it takes at least 2 days to get it. So, wherever you are going if you have a flat your arrival is delayed by two days. There is also cost, a tendency to get damaged beyond reapair after you hit a pothole, uneven wear, etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
You know... if you have a flat with your RFT and you continue to drive on it, you'll destroy the tire. So you're 400 miles from home with a flat, no spare, and you think that any local shop stocks RFTs in this size? What if it happens on a Sunday? Or you get a flat, the tire isn't destroyed, but you are miles from a tire repair shop, on a Saturday night? So you call roadside assistance, three hours later a rollback shows up, takes you 80 miles out of your way, you get a hotel for the night, nothing is open on Sunday so after another night at the Super-8 you get the tire patched Monday? Ha! I think that shows a lack of planning there my friend.

I see that Kev is in Ireland. Out in in the far reaches here in the colonies, you can literally drive hundreds of miles between towns. Or where I live, in the Southeast, everything shuts down for the Lord's day (Sunday) and you generally can't get a tire fixed, anywhere. So trip planning may be a little different than in the UK or Europe.

RFTs are not the panacea that you might wish for (not to end a sentence in a preposition). You should have a bottle of slime and air compressor in your trunk regardless of the tire type. Or a can of fix-a-flat if you prefer. Me, I carry the former and on out of town trips, I have a spare, jack and lug wrench. You can get a kit from Tischer BMW that has everything you need, around $350. Expensive? Yes. How much for two nights in a hotel, ruined vacation and delayed trip? Priceless.

And the F10 trunk is so huge you can put a mini spare back there and still have room for luggage. I used to put the spare in my E92, and that was a tiny trunk, but we still made it work.

References:
Spare tire kit
Slime
Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any kind of space saver spare kit for the F10. I'm also planning on carrying a tire plug kit, jack and wrench until the first RFT needs replacement. After that, only conventional tires and a spare in the trunk.
Appreciate 0