View Single Post
      11-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
islandnipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY 2012 F10 520d SE

My own 2012 F10 520d SE is now about 6 weeks old. A great car! (I've posted pics and the spec in the gallery section of this site).

I think that surround view, with the reversing camera is one of the best driving aids of the car, that I rely upon more or less every drive. The rear view through the windows/over the seats (even for a tall fit-ish bloke!) is not brilliant, so I consider that rear camera an important safety feature (and adds much more than the PDC sensors alone can offer).

The surround view is not so much a safety feature than an excellent "get it right first time" manoeuvring and parking feature, that makes it a breeze to park between lines or against a kerb (even a curved / strange-shape one). It's almost like playing a "park your car" computer game - and still brilliant at night time! In addition you get the two side cameras that remove the need to poke your nose out into traffic (they give about 4ft forward advantage). As you may imagine, these cameras features are a great talking point with passengers! Most have never seen anything like it before.

I have VDC with the same wheels as you are listing: I've never driven one of these cars without VDC, but I certainly appreciate the different settings for rural roads / motorways.

I'll also add my support for the full vis pack. As someone said above, it must depend a bit on the sort of night driving that you do, but if you regularly drive on unlit rural roads, the adaptive xenons + cornering lights really show what they're worth. I also like the fact that the high-beam assist is now very responsive (particularly in switching back to high) compared to my previous LCI E60.
Appreciate 0