View Single Post
      01-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #7
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
As most of you know, BMW recommends Shell gas for our BMWs. Maybe for that reason, Shell premium is a rip off in my area. Shell premium is $.50 more expensive than regular. It is currently $3.89 per gallon in the Seattle area. ARCO premium is $3.25. ARCO is a top tier gas. ARCO charges $.30 per gallon more for premium than regular.

So I only use Shell when my grocery points gives me more than $.70 per gallon off which is rare.
It's not a $.50 premium over regular, it's actually the amount of gas the station has leftover from their last purchase which dictates the price. The fuel prices in the PNW are dropping fairly quickly and of course premium sells slower than regular gas, so the station can't lower the cost of the premium until they sell the old stock which they bought at a higher price unless they want to eat into their own margins. It's a matter of economics. You'll see the price of the premium drop once they refuel at a lower buy cost but again, it'll be lagging behind regular because the regular depletes stock much quicker and gets replenished at the new lower cost at that particular time. Fuel prices are coming down quickly across the nation so you'll see this lag in premium pricing vs regular gas across the board.
Appreciate 2