View Single Post
      07-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Ray2
Rep
Drives: BMW

I can give you my take on the suspension. Drivers are a 996/S with the European X74 suspension (non-adjustable GT3) and an E39 530 sport w/M5 rear bar and Koni's. I just picked up a 328i XDrive Sport Wagon with adaptive/summer tires and took it from Munich to Switzerland over the Tirolian Alps. Nothing that would approach strenuous driving but back roads about 2/3rds of the way and plenty of twisties.

Basically, in Comfort the car falls all over itself. Abrupt and exaggerated transitions. Its nothing like any of our 5 previous BMW's and incompetent is how I would rate it. A highway setting only. I believe all XDrives come with the standard springs, not Sport, so I would imagine Comfort in adaptive is close to what you drove.

Put it in Sport and its quite a likeable car. Points well, no understeer, good transitions and feels settled with the driving I did. It's not as communicative or settled/buttoned down as the 530 but the ride is a heck of lot better and it responds quicker to input. I was rather pleased with the car. Having said that, I purchased the car as it was time for more civilized transportation. I'm still new to the car but I'm not sure I would push it like our 530 let alone the P.

I think you owe it to yourself to find an adaptive to drive. Or, just order one. I'm not sure if I would be looking at any of the current models with enthusiastic driving in mind. But as a nice daily driver with the ability to carry a decent pace through twisties, I find its good, in Sport.
Appreciate 0