View Single Post
      02-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gle8
-With a leak, is this something to do with the housing or the internals?
Housing.

Quote:
-Is this something that can usually be rebuilt, or needs to be replaced?
Impossible to tell unless it's removed from the car, in my opinion. I mean, how major is the leak? Has the fluid pretty much ran dry for a while? Most of these will be answered only when the unit has been removed from the car and opened for inspection, IMO.

Quote:
-If I wait to perform the repair, can I cause further damage if things get worse?
That's a resounding YES.

Quote:
-If I buy a new unit, do I need to buy the whole thing or just the internals/various parts?
I don't think there's significant difference in price between just buying the internals and the whole unit. In fact, if you're buying used, i.e. from a scrap yard, or a rebuilt unit, they most often and likely come as an entire unit.

We'll probably need more information to give a solid opinion. Has the car been making some difficult to pin-point noises, especially when turning at speed? Sounds like knocking or humming coming from the back of the car that disappears when going straight? Where's the leak coming from? Has the leak been bad enough to leave a puddle under the car?

This might be a good opportunity to upgrade to a 3.91 ring and pinion set if the internal can be rebuilt. I'm just sayin'.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0