10-17-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
DIY - Changing Halogen Low Beam Headlights

First, you will need a key or a coin, and your new halogen bulbs. I used a pillow to rest my head when it was on the floor. If you are not doing this outdoors, bring a flashlight.

Now, you have to access the low beams via the wheel well. To do this, get your key, open the hood, and turn your cars wheels inwards from whatever side you decide to tackle your lights first. For me, I went with the left side first, so I turned my wheels to the right all the way.

Use your key and look by the wheel well, and stick it in the slot, and turn it anti clockwise. Do this for both slots. (note: in the picture shown, the slot is not visible, but it is directly across on the right of the visible slot).

Now that the wheel well is gone, you should be seeing a square cap with a round top. Feel the top of it and there will be a clip. I took out the cap via the hood, and dropped it through the wheel well.

Flick the clip upwards and the cap will essentially fall off. I could not get a picture of the cap in place with the clip, but here is the cap, and I have circled where the clip is.

You should now be seeing some wires that are attached to the light. You want to get a firm grip on it with your thumb and pointing finger.

Just go ahead and pull them out. if that doesnt work, push teh clip in first, and then pull it out.

The light will not fall out or break as it is held in by a clip. Now that you have removed the power source, just kind of tuck it away.

Now, you should see the bulb itself, and the metal clip that holds it in place. I have pointed the arrow to it. now, pay careful attention, as the clips will be different on the left/right side. Here is the left side clip, so it will have a sort of pull pin that is originated from the left. You have to push the clip to the left and keep going until it breaks loose. Then it should swivel downwards. You don’t need to worry about it falling off, its held in.

Now that the latch is free, watch the bulb! Hold it by the metal plate on the rear.

Make sure NEVER to hold the bulb itself. Handle the light by the metal frame only, or else damage will be done to your lights. It is suggested that you use gloves to handle them, but I was feeling dangerous lol.

Now, with the bulb in one hand, double check and make sure the area is clear for the bulb to fit in, with nothing obstructing its path.

Smoothly slide the bulb in the housing, and looking from the outside, gently twist the bulb until it “fits” into the socket. Now mind you, its not going to stay there on its own. You have to hold it up. I suggest doing this through the hood.

Using your other hand, fit it through the wheel well and look for that latch that you had to twist to the side to release, go ahead and snap it back up into place, its going to secure the bulb. (srry for the blury pic)

Align the power source and plug it into the bulb and just push it in as hard as you can. Pretty straightforward.

And the rest of this is simply reverse instructions. Push the clips in, cover the wheel well, and your good to go!

***Many thanks Nick@JleviSW!***
Attached Images

Last edited by Kiemyster; 04-14-2008 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: updates
Appreciate 0