AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanosWRX View Post
I haven't tracked a 335i, but I have raced RWD and AWD cars. Its not going to hurt handling, but if you were to race a RWD 335i with sticky tires and your AWD car with the same sticky tires I think the RWD 335i might come out ahead due to the almost 200 pound weight difference. Thats probably the biggest difference I see when I compare a 335i and 335xi. Thats almost a 6% weight difference. I think the AWD can help make up for that difference being able to apply power quicker, but with good tires it sort of negates that on a dry track. Personally I love AWD, right now my car is still in the on order phase and I have been thinking about switching it to a XI, but then I see that weight difference and think just stick with RWD.
I think the driveline losses are more of a setback than the weight. However the reports are that both trap speeds and 1/4 mile times are better in the xi because of the re-tooled xdrive system.

Off the strip, my guess is the AWD will be an even bigger advantage maximizing apex accelleration. But back on clubwrx, you were the track guy, so I'll defer to your opinion.

(dR)
Appreciate 0