View Single Post
      08-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #24
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I frankly don't see how AV will become fully implemented as long as government allows the ownership of non AV type vehicles, and pedestrians to use crosswalks etc. I will not buy an AV or and EV for that matter, I enjoy driving and will not give up my cars willingly. Also, automakers are still selling hundreds of thousands of non AV vehicles every year and I don't see that changing anytime soon, so that will definitely slow the transition, even if the government and manufacturers came out with an affordable level 5 AV this year how will they deal with cars that have been sold or manufactured and are sitting in inventory to be sold given some folks will hold onto those cars for 10 years or more.
I for one know I'll get old enough to not be safe on the road, so EVs are a godsend to those of us that want to stay mobile and more self sufficient as we get older, not to mention for our parents to keep them safe. Endangering other people because I want to "hold onto my driving" is probably one of the most selfish things I could do.

Automakers may be selling hundreds of thousands of non AV vehicles, but they are incorporating AV technology at an exponential rate. First it was cruise control, then a long time after that, auto parking, then, adaptive cruise control, now with lane-keeping in an even shorter period of time, and more technologies being incorporated every year.