08-28-2019, 05:24 AM   #32
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I for one know I'll get old enough to not be safe on the road, so EVs are a godsend to those of us that want to stay mobile and more self sufficient as we get older, not to mention for our parents to keep them safe. Endangering other people because I want to "hold onto my driving" is probably one of the most selfish things I could do.

Automakers may be selling hundreds of thousands of non AV vehicles, but they are incorporating AV technology at an exponential rate. First it was cruise control, then a long time after that, auto parking, then, adaptive cruise control, now with lane-keeping in an even shorter period of time, and more technologies being incorporated every year.
True, but the human driver still has the ultimate responsibility to use those capabilities correctly and not cause an accident/death to another person. A change of state to full autonomy has far more ramifications than improvement on cruise control. Children cause distracted driving too...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0