View Single Post
      12-14-2019, 03:07 AM   #1
Cjohnson28
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 328xi

Car wont start randomly

Hey guys! Been really scouring the threads here to dig for an answer but cant find anything that's lining up with my particular scenario.

My 07 328xi will just refuse to start at times. But typically only after I've taken it on a short trip and turned it off, then try and start it again shortly after. I can start it first thing in the morning, no problem. Get to work, drive thru mcdicks at lunch, drive it home. No worries.
But I've had instances where I've gone to Subway, parked the car, go in and get food, then when I come out, the car wont start. I'll have to leave it alone for roughly an hour before it will start again.

148,000km on it
My battery is pretty fresh. Only 2 years old, and took a voltmeter to it, everything checks out fine on the battery condition. Terminals are fine, no loose connections.

I did have the starter replaced about a month ago. This issue never happened previously to the starter being replaced.

I called my buddy who did the starter for me and told him what happened. He suggested I use my spare key to see if it was just a dead fob. The spare worked but about a week after, same issues happened.

I'm carrying both keys and they aren't the comfort access. I tried the toothbrush charger hack and left them both in the charger overnight for a few days straight. I'm sure it helped charge them, but I dont think that was really the problem.

I called BMW and they gave me the old "we cant do anything without you bringing the car in and giving us $175 to diagnose it" the only suggestion the dealer tech gave me was perhaps the key fobs need to be reprogrammed since the battery was disconnected to do the starter job. But again, $150 just to get them to do that, and that's IF that's the issue.

Anyone know if it's possible to do the reprogram yourself? Or any suggestions of any other possible solutions?

Any ideas are super appreciated!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0