View Single Post
      08-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 & 2015 M4 Vert

First Oil Change

Changed the oil on my 435i today with 2150 miles on it.
This is the first time I have changed oil on a 4 wheel BMW vehicle.
Over the years I have changed oil on many pieces of machinery, my 993TT was probably the worst (2 oil filters, had to remove inside fender panel and several heat ducts).
On the my older Airhead BMW bikes you have to sometimes loosen and remove one of the exhaust pipes to access the filter as well as remove some of the lower fairing.
So what's my point, well this was one of the easiest oil & filter changes I have ever done. What was I prepared for??? Usually auto's with the filters on or towards the top of the engines, you are cleaning up spilled oil (944 ect.), not on this change. Was impressed that the oil from the filter stayed in the oil well of the filter when you pull out the old one. Congratulations BMW for thinking about us backyard mechanics or whatever your intent was?
OK I know...did not need to change the oil till maybe over 10K miles who are we kidding. I am experienced enough to understand NEW metal to metal contact, even if BMW doesn't require it.
I will have the old oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs, and report back as to the results, so don't start with telling me it wasn't necessary till I report the results
Question on this is why does BMW require a 1200-1500mile oil change on the M3-M4?? Yes, yes- a different engine, but again it is still NEW metal on metal contact.
Oh ya, went with 0w-40 Mobil syn European Formula(approved oil in manual and on BMW site), 7 Quarts exact, and yes it did show right on "MAX" when I was done on the measurement (boy do I miss a good dipstick). I have seen some discussion on this and other forums about filling with 7Qts. and showing approx.1/2 quart low when finished, this DID NOT happen.
Stay tuned for the oil analysis, it should be interesting