Send pics of the launch!
Thanks!! I've retired!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick6 View Post
You played guns with your friends.
BB guns, yes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
For some reason, my younger brother and I found it hilarious to throw rocks at each other from across the garden (maybe 40 yards). Also had BB gun fights.

Those were the days when you left in the morning and the only rule was to be home before the street lights came on. In the summer, that would be 10 pm. Parents had no idea where we were and what we were doing. No find my phone crap back then. And we weren't playing video games. Boating, hiking, fishing, hunting, riding our bikes for miles and miles. Damn that was fun and educational, if not a bit Darwinian.
So true...especially the Darwinian part. We had friends who lost fingers to fireworks. No big deal for the rest of us. We figured they held on too long and should refine their techniques. Dumb bastards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I remember the D's being the biggest thing we could get, so no experience with the E's. We tried multiple times to get the rocket to explode when it reached altitude, but with no success. We loaded 12-gauge shells with powder and ran a fuse into the primer pocket from the top of the engine, but when the parachute charge of the engine went off, it all just came apart.

Forgot to mention that in the story of the hickory nose cone, Chuck was standing about 10 feet directly in front of the picture window of the living room of their house. If the rocket hadn't hit Chuck, it would have surely gone through that window and raised hell in the house. A lucky break, that would have ended our rocketry careers for sure.

We used to set up vast battleground layouts of Army men and blow everything up by burying firecrackers and M-80s amongst them and shooting into the battlefield with our BB guns. We had one Army man we called "Cyclops" because he had a BB embedded in his face. Good times. And yeah, a kid doing that nowadays would end up in a juvenile correction facility, a foster home, a straightjacket...who knows.
The way to get them to explode in the air was to use a first stage motor for a multi-stage rocket and put the m-80, fuse down, so that when the firing charge which would normally ignite the second stage, ignited the M-80. Using an engine that was timed gave a little coasting interval and would allow a little altitude to be gained...only a second or two at max. Mind you, this is what a good friend told me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Same here. We'd come home at supper time, filty and starving and out of BBs and firecrackers. We built tree forts, snow forts, rafts, go-karts, all sorts of stuff. I figured out how to fix a Crossman 760 pump-up pellet gun that wouldn't hold pressure, and became the neighborhood armorer. We thought we could solve any problem or build anything with enough effort and enough pilfered parts...and we were usually right.
The Crossmans were the equivalent of the Barrett Sniper rifles back in the day. The Daisy machine BB gun powered by 3 CO2 cartridges was the spray and pray golden standard. So much pain.

How the hell did we survive it all?
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1