View Single Post
      07-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #12
JeF4y
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 X1 35i M-sport

"normal" air is already 78% nitrogen, and they damned sure aren't creating a vacuum to pull out all that air before replacing it with nitrogen when they do pump it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
I fail to see how exchanging one type of gas (normal air) w/ nitrogen at the same pressure, ambient temp, etc., would make any difference in ride quality.
That's the difference there. The pressures/temps/etc are variable, and atmospheric oxygen (the air we breathe at 78% nitrogen) will react differently than pure nitrogen in the same situation.

Nitrogen will expand less when it gets hot, so in theory, the ride could be better as the tire pressure will increase when the tires get hot (this is why you always check the tires when they're cold). The ONLY times I've seen this beneficial were in racing applications. There are some in the commercial trucking business and RV communities who also swear by it, but on a "normal" passenger vehicle? Well, if they're gonna do it for free, sure, but I'm not interested in paying anything extra for it.

Prev: 09 Z4 35i Black w/white napa leather & every option possible =)
Appreciate 0