10-10-2023, 06:02 PM   #33
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_C_F30_G42 View Post
Of course not. But it gets slowly worse when you read through the technical specs of the car and you start to realize that things that belonged to only 80k+ “M” cars are now being offered lower and lower. I normally wouldn’t mind it but there’s giving strict “M” car things to this car instead of the baby versions of the M cars, such as the M240, M340, M440, M550, M850, etc.
BMW's got a habit of doing this. M Technik packages for regular models in the 80s, E36 318s with M3 LTW/GT Class II bodykits, etc. The G20 M340i and G15 M850i could be optioned with M CF roof for a brief moment until this year... I sometimes wonder what the true reason was.

What we are seeing here is an answer to demand for high-performance UKL-based vehicles and despite BMW being capable of slapping an M badge even on yo mama's ass, they came to the conclusion that front-drive BMWs are still not worth the full M GmbH treatment. So the compromise is that they're gonna get four tail pipes and better brakes, but still not the clever diffs and other more hardcore suspension bits.

I just wish they would scrap the M Performance line altogether. It's added unnecessary confusion to the model line up, with people thinking an M340i is something much more sporty than a 340i just because of the little M on the boot lid. Though that's exactly why they've done it the first place...