03-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by italia View Post
That's highly debatable. As I understand it, Honda are not arguing that Ducati broke any rules, which Dorna confirm. Ducati offered (at their expense) software code for the Open ECU, which immediately became available for use by all other Open teams for free.

Honda are just pissed because they didn't think about the possibility of anyone in Open offering up software code, as the rules didn't forbid it. So, Ducati just out played Honda within the scope of the Open rules, and Honda now want to change the rules because the latest Open Class ECU with Ducati code might make Ducati a competitive bike.

The net effect is that Dorna will probably bend over like a bent whore and change the rules to appease Honda, thus making MotoGP once again the most boring racing in motorcycling.

Had Open Class teams become competitive with Factory teams (which last week's test seemed to indicate) Dorna had the chance to return MotoGP to a more interesting competitive series. Doesn't look like it will happen since Honda is flexing its muscle to try to ensure the rules treat Honda well.

A shame. But, at least we have interesting competition in WSBK.
Good points. As someone else quoted on Crash.net....

Quote:
I think it was BS to wait for Ducati to switch to open before changing the rules, but Honda do have some legitimate beef.

They are now in a position where their rival basically has a factory ecu, more fuel than Honda, more engines, and are allowed to develop their engines.

Honda never wanted to have any of those restrictions, I'd be annoyed too if a rival had found a way to get around them.
Appreciate 0