Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS2k View Post
Wow! I had almost the same exact experience at a few different socal BMW dealers! I thought I was the only one!

I mean shockingly similar! At one place the sales guy made me wait in the showroom for him for about 20 minutes, we could see him standing around talking with other people in a relaxed way not doing any work for most of that 20 mins. Finally after we started pointing at him and visibly laughing he came over to help us. When I walk into Ferrari I always get prompt service. But oh no, this is BMW, the next level!

The two dealers I went to acted like the x7 is a Ferrari. They would let me drive it and didn't have any problems with me poking around at everything with the car but when it came to buying the car none wanted to really help me place an order and acted like I would be lucky to get one, which was surprising. I was telling them I want to lease the car and they were asking me a million questions to make sure I could afford it (if only they could see my car collection... &#128513. In the end one told me he would only sell it at a 5k markup and I was lucky since most customers were paying 10k markup so he was giving me a deal. Who the hell is dumb enough to pay a markup on a family hauler?? Haha. Yes these BMW dealers lost me as a customer forever. I've also emailed a few more dealers and almost all of them have the similar attitude. None will talk price with me over email, because they will probably try to get me into the dealership to give me a markup. They want me to drive In to the dealership to pay a markup. Ok sure no problem. I don't think it's worth it for BMW in the long term when they have these shady tactics and I'm sure they have lost other customers too. You see Mercedes gls and land rovers everywhere in this area, dealers bend over backward to sell those cars and do give discounts on both (not too much on land raver but atleast a little). Bmw will shoot itself in the foot here with this crazy attitude.

I actually do want an x7 and am willing to pay the price bmw is asking but because dealerships are creating roadblocks I have to get a benz. Isn't that strange for a family SUV? I feel like I live in bizarroland! Also secretly I think a lot of us know the new GLS will probably be better then x7 so bmw losing sales now when BMW has the edge seems double stupid to me.

Bmw already lost me because these guys tires me out and I guess selling 90k cars is beneath them, but maybee someone from BMW would read this and change their ways for future sales
It's a Cali problem, I think. Consider out of state. I can set you up with a contact. Not sure what deal you'll get but you wont be treated poorly.

Re GLS, I do think it will be bigger and more accommodating inside, but that the exterior will be a matter of personal preference vs the X7. Based on the GLE alone, I think I'll prefer the x7 to the new GLS. But only time will tell.

Three more things.

1. Benz is working very hard these days to work through old inventory of an outgoing generation before introducing the new. I expect a slow ramp up of GLS production, for that reason.
2. There is usually visual differentiation between the 6 and the V8 with the GLS. The X7 can look the same whether its the 40 or 50. For me, the 500/550 trim was always worth it cause they didn't offer AMG trim on the 450 in the US. Maybe that will change but something to think about.
3. The GLE gets very pricy quick. The GLS will likely be similar. I expect it to cost more than a similarly optioned x7, based on what I'm seeing with the GLE, but i Could be wrong.
I did try out of state with one dealer but was told they couldn't work with ppl out of their region. Sounds like Range Rover tactics.

Honestly these shady dealers tired me out so I went to Mercedes and the process was super smooth. For now I have a deposit on 3 row gle. Brand new car and I was given discount. I would cancel my order very quickly if a reasonable bmw dealer appeared but it's crazy that after 5-6 dealers I would have to chase a normal dealer down. I think I lasted long and other people would get tired faster then me. I think this piss poor dealer experience is a black mark on BMW and they can't keep hiding behind dealers being "independent". Customer service in most any other franchise is pretty much the same where you go and high quality. So if all these dealers act the same, maybee it's on purpose. So bmw lost me and I'm a peon so what but I bet there are others. Especially when you are spending this much on a car that's not even a sports car or something you find that special at this price you cannot act like that. Mercedes understands that in my opinion which is why they are the king of this segment of cars. They give us what we want without a hassle or headache.

Also with the pricing I hear what you are saying and on paper Mercedes can be more pricy but when you actually sit down and buy a car, which Mercedes do you ever buy without a steep discount from MSRP? Even the amg GTS sells with discount. I think only the new g wagon is being sold without any discount. So the reality is I can rightnow get a gls with an almost 20k higher MSRP for lower total cost then an x7 with minimal options. That doesn't make any sense. Yes the gls is old, but it will likely be a similar story with new gls once inventory builds up.

Bmw is mismanaging this x7 and since I'm being treated similarly at several dealers either BMW has lost complete control of its brand sales or they are doing it on purpose to try to make the car exclusive. It's an awesome car and I really loved x7 but it is not a Range Rover or g wagon or Ferrari and never will be and all the shady dealer tricks in the world will not make it that.
Appreciate 0