04-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
This is not a good reference though. Every auto show car I have seen has absolutely appalling paint condition.

I have a strong eye for this sort of thing, and I also regularly look at my car under a UV light. If you can see scratches like I can, you wouldn't touch this thing with a barge pole. On the other hand if you think autoshow cars, dealer showroom cars, and such look great, then go for it.
You must have been going to atrocious car shows. I think you are thinking of rubbing the duster on the paint which could cause the scratching. Those cleaners you have seen probably have no sense at all who just sweep aside the dust from the car's surface.

I have seen how this Javit's "clever" cleaning guy do it and also asked him his method of dusting/lifting small particles off the cars' surface -- he does not rub the duster on the car's paint but just hover it to pick up the dust/other small particles. He rubs the duster with another cloth or its container. If I remember right, in Physics we did a similar experiment -- using a glass rod which is usually negative charged rubbed with cloth or with the hand, some electrons are removed from the glass deeming the glass with some positive charge (less electrons). Then small pieces of paper or dust for that matter have a negative charge are lifted up and adhere to the glass rod when hovered over those small particles. I think this is the same principle the car guy cleaner was doing to the cars at the Javit's convention center. So with this technique, you do not need any fancy paraffin wax treated cotton duster, just your ordinary duster would do -- it's the technique, not the duster itself.

Last edited by nybimmerfan; 04-10-2013 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0