CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
I think what makes it hard to extract the last bit of performance is that the car is so good! It does the 80% so easily it almost lulls you into a false sense of security, making you think it is foolproof! However, it is ready to bite you back when you do overstep the mark. The problem is knowing exactly when you are on the edge of overstepping the mark. Also the other thing is the turbo. Even though the power delivery is very linear for a turbo, it is not linear, and you have to know exactly what is going to happen when you push the pedal.

A good analogy on what I mean that most of us would understand is a comparison between street tires and racing tires (eg type r or full slicks). Street tires lose grip progressively, squeal, and generally let the driver know what is going on. When they do let go it is predictable. Racing tires are quicker, and have more grip. However, the loss of grip and how they behave can take some getting used to, and they can unnerve some drivers.

Going from E92 to F82 is like making that progression in tires. The F82 is quicker, has more lateral grip and is a more race focussed product. You can definitely go faster. However, learning where the limit is and how the car will behave on the edge of the limit, how it puts the power down and how the throttle modulation works etc will take some seat time and confidence in the car.

Hope that makes sense
I am not sure it does. In your original review you say it is more of GT car and here you say it is more like a race car

Just pulling your leg

I am eager to try out my M4 at the track in 2 weeks. What I am looking for is a good dual purpose car. One that can serve me well on the DD and road trips while still delivering good and fun performance at the track. So far my experience with all my previous M3s has been just that.

For sure, the F8X are not time attack weapons out of the box; very few cars are straight off the showroom floor.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 09-19-2014 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0