motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
Is anyone else having this issue? My rear view camera is very dark at night. I played with the settings but its still very dark, sometimes very tough to even see. can anyone else relate?
There is a big thread about this issue, welcome to the club!
I also own an Alpine white M4, I ended thinking that the problem must be with the camera's light sensor, this gets worst on white or light colored cars like ours. The problem begins with the license plate led's who make the top of the rear bumper too bright at a point that the camera light sensors work as in daylight mode.

I made a few tests to probe my theory and I'm very positive I'm close to the problem, first test was to put some dark cloth over the rear bumper and test the camera, you will find a big difference in terms of depth, second test I did was to cover half of the license plate led's with black duct tape and also got a nice improvement, and still using the duct tape until today.
One more: turn off the car lights, that way the rear license plate lights will not fool the camera's light sensors

I already placed a complaint to my dealer and he will forward it to the factory, I also made a short video which is located in the other thread.
So, until BMW give's some solution to this, we will have to make this stupid fixes until they make a recall out of it.
Here is the duct tape trick, I covered the outer half of the license plate led's, kind of difficult to see in this picture

Last edited by motex; 10-02-2014 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0